Friday, May 30, 2008

Arrival In Guanaja!

April 11, 2008
We take off and head east following the northern coast line of Honduras. It is a little hazy but the water is unbelievably clear and blue. As we turn North the haze obscures the horizon, but I'm sure on a clear day the "mountains" of Guanaja would be visible. A short smooth flight later we bank into a 180 and set up for final approach into Guanaja. The landing is great (they say any landing is a good one!) and we taxi to the end of the only runway which also is the ramp/terminal area. The baggage handlers are there to meet us with there cart and as I disembark I am met by my friend Denise.


Denise has her hands full....Houdini, her Maltese who goes everywhere, a bottle of bug spray and a cold cervesa! After getting bug proofed we walk along the path to meet with Alfred and my host from Castaways Resort, Kevin, and the Captain and tour guide for the day Baxter. A quick stop at "The Thirst and Last Stop" for another cervesa and on to the boat. There are no roads on Guanaja so the only transportation is by boat.
I see my gringo buddies crammed into a panga as I board the 43' Fish tales. I'll bet they are really happy now!
More cold cervesa as Baxter pilots the boat towards Castaways, pointing out several points of interest along the way.

Past Manatees and around Peak Rock and Castaways comes into sight...........I can't wait to see the new CLub Brown International!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice story :)